Are you thinking about building a website but don’t know exactly how? So you have come to the right place. This guide will help you to create a website step by step.
Creating a website can be a challenging task, especially when you don’t know anything about it and you are completely new. There is nothing to fear, in this article I will tell you how to create a website on WordPress, how much it costs to build a website, and what setup is necessary after creating a website.
- What is the best platform to create a website?
- What is needed to build a WordPress website?
- How much does it cost to create a website on WordPress?
- How to buy Domain Name and Hosting for Website?
- How to make a Website on WordPress ?
- How to update domain nameserver?
- How to Install Theme in WordPress Site?
- Essential Setup After Creating a WordPress Website
- How to Add Content to WordPress Site?
- Change Site Title and Tagline
- Add Menu to WordPress Site
- How to Install Plugin in WordPress Site?
What is the best platform to create a website?
A lot of website builders exist to create a website in the market, but here I will use WordPress.org to create a website.
WordPress.org is a World Famous CMS (Content Management System) and over 32% of websites are created by WordPress. we can use it to create any kind of website, from blogs to e-commerce (online store) sites.
It is an open source software and is completely free. But to create a website on this platform, you will need a domain name and web hosting.
Here are the Pros and Cons of using WordPress.org,
- You do not need coding knowledge while creating a website. Just click on the WordPress software, then enter information about your website and click on the install button. Your website is ready.
- You have full control over your website.
- When your website grows, you can add more features later.
- Thousands of free and premium themes are available that make your website beautiful and professional.
- WordPress.org has over 45,000 free plugins available that help to add extra features to your site.
- If there is an error in your website, you can easily fix it with the help of the plugin. In addition, there are many tutorials available on the Internet.
- Due to it being more popular, hackers target it more. So you have to pay attention to Security.
There are many users who get confused between WordPress.org & WordPress.com and choose the wrong platform which is both different platforms. Here is a guide on the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
What is needed to build a WordPress website?
To create a website on WordPress you will need the following two things.
1.Domain name – This is the name of your website, the user will write the name of your domain in their browsers (like techmoolz.com) to come to your site.
2.Web Hosting – All websites on the Internet need to be hosted for which a hosting is required. Here all your files are stored.
I recommend you Bluehost for hosting. It is one of the largest hosting companies in the world & is also recommended by official WordPress.
How much does it cost to create a website on WordPress?
As I already said, WordPress is an Open source software & is completely free. But you will need a domain name ($ 7.99 / month) & hosting (usually starting at $ 2.75 per month). Which you have to spend money on and it is entirely up to you what kind of website you are trying to build.
I advise you to start with a small amount. When your website starts gaining popularity, you can add more features to it. In this way, you can start your website with less expense in starting.
However in this article I will tell you how you can create a website within 100 $ (4000-5000rs).
This guide is useful for all users (Beginners and Advanced Users). If you have any problem while creating a website, then you can feel free to contact me.
So let’s start now…
How to buy Domain Name and Hosting for Website?
First, go to the Bluehost website and click on Hosting >> Linux Hosting.
This will take you to the Pricing page. Scroll down the page a little. Here you have to choose the Pricing plan for your website. Its business plan is very popular among the users and allows to create 3 websites whereas through standard plan you can launch only one website.
After selecting the plan of your choice, click on the buy now button.
Now it will ask you that, “Do you already have a domain for your hosting plan? That is, do you already have a domain.
All you have to do is click “no” and enter a domain name for your site. If you want to use another extension apart from of .com extension, then you can click on .com extension and select another extension.
In this page you have to click on the Select >> Checkout option.
As soon as you click on Checkout, it will redirect you to the Order Summary page. Here you remove Unwanted order, pay only for hosting and domain. Also you can choose the time duration for your hosting and domain name, ie how many years you want to register them.
After when you have checked everything properly ,click on the proceed to payment button.
In the next step you will need to sign up for a Bluehost account. Click create an account in 10 seconds.
And fill up your account informations like name, address, email and etc.
Once you have all the info. Insert and click on create account, it will redirect you to the Payment option page.
After your purchase is complete, you will receive an email containing details associated with cPanel. Otherwise you can sign into your Bluehost account and go to cPanel.
How to create a website on wordpress?
Here you will find many options in your hosting dashboard (cPanel). 90% of them will not need to be used, so you ignore them.
First log in to your Bluehost account, then click on the “Manage Orders >> List / Search Orders” button at the top.
Then click on the domain name.
In the next page you need to click on the “Manage Web Hosting” button.
Now your hosting cPanel will open, scroll down to the Software section and click on “Softaculous Apps Installer“.
In the next page, select WordPress and then click on the Install Now button, below you can see in the screen shot,
Now a new page will open in front of you, here you have to enter your website name, admin username, and password for your website. Don’t worry, later you can also change them as per your requirement. Here is the guide below
Here you will see some website templates, which you can install on your site. But you do not have to do this right now, I will tell you later how to install a WordPress theme on a WordPress site.
After entering all the information related to your website, click on the Install button.
The WordPress installation process will begin, here you will take about 1 minute. After the process is complete, the login and password information will be sent to the registered email address.
After the installation is over, you will see a successful message in the top.
congratulation! You have created your first WordPress website.
How to update domain nameserver
Log in to your hosting’s cPanel again and click on the “Manage Orders >> List / Search Orders” button. Then click on the domain name of the website.
Now click on Name Server details inside your hosting section.
It will show you two name servers, just copy them and save them in notepad.
Now go to the Domain Registration section and click on Name Servers. A popup box will open in front of you, paste both the copied Name Server into this box and click on the Update name server button.
Name Servers takes 72 hours to propagate, once Name Servers propagate and your site starts to open, you can login and visit your website.
When your site starts to open, you can go to the WordPress login page and log in to your WordPress site using the username and password. Your login page will look like this,
How to Install Theme in WordPress Site
Theme is the design of your WordPress site, ie the design of the WordPress site is controlled by the theme itself.
When you create a WordPress site, it comes with a default WordPress theme that is not attractive and professional looking.
But don’t worry, there are thousands of free and Premium WordPress themes available in the market that you can install on your site.
Go to Appearance >> Themes page & then click on Add New button. You will see a gallery of WordPress themes. You can filter them by popular, latest, featured and etc.
If you know the name of the free WordPress theme that you want to install in your WordPress site, then you enter its name in the search field and click on the Install button.
Apart from this, if you have a theme file, you can also upload and install it on your site.
Once you install & activate the theme on your site, you can customize it by clicking Appearance >> Customize.
When there is some content on your website, then you will be able to customize it better.
I recommend you to use GeneratePress or Hueman theme in free theme. But if you want to use a premium theme, then I recommend you the Genesis Framework.
Essential Setup After Creating a WordPress Website
- Delete Default Post, Page, & Comment – Login to your WordPress dashboard and go to Posts >> All Posts and delete the default “Hello world” post.
- Just like the first process, go to Pages >> All Pages & delete the default “Sample Page”.
- Finally, click on “Comments” and delete the comment as well.
- Set the website’s timezone – Click Settings >> General to set the website’s time zone. Set the time zone of the website according to your local time so that when you schedule a post, they are published according to your time zone.
- Set WordPress Permalinks structure – WordPress comes with 5 types of Permalink structure but Default Permalinks structure is not SEO friendly. So click on Settings >> Permalinks and select Post Name and then click on the Save Changes button.
- Update your WordPress site’s Ping List. This helps in fast indexing.
How to Add Content to WordPress Site?
WordPress comes with two content types – Post & Page
Post – Adds a timestamp and is used by the blog. When you publish a post on your site, it appears on the home page. Also, you can choose Categories & Tags for your post.
Let’s publish the first blog post on the site,
First click on Posts >> Add New and it will take you to the Post Editor panel. Write your post here and after writing the post click on the Publish button.
How to create page on wordpress site
The page is also created like a post, click on Pages >> Add New. Write your page title here and add the content in the text editor and click on the Publish button.
Change Site Title and Tagline
You can setup it during WordPress installation, or change it through WordPress dashboard. Just click on Settings >> General Options and add your Site title and tagline.
The title of your WordPress site will be the name of your website such as Techmoolz and the tag line is usually a single line that tells what your website is about. If you want, you can leave the tagline field blank. After doing all your settings, click on the save changes button.
Add Menu to WordPress Site
WordPress comes with a powerful navigation menu system. First of all, you need to go to Appearance >> Customize >> Menus. Enter a name for your navigation menu & click on the Create menu button. Then add Category or Page as per your requirement as shown in the screenshot.
Now you have to choose a location for Navigation menus. These places are based on your WordPress theme. Basically, most WordPress themes have a primary menu that appears at the top.
Click on the save menu button and save your navigation menu.
How toInstall Plugin in WordPress Site
WordPress Plugins work like apps for your WordPress site. These help to add extra features to your WordPress site such as contact forms, photo galleries, etc.
Click on Plugins >> Add New and enter its name in the search field and click on the Install button. After installing the plugin, be sure to activate it.
Here are some essential plugins that are very essential for any site,
- Yoast SEO – Improves your WordPress SEO.
- WP Super Cache – This is a Caching plugin that generates a static HTML files of your site and when a visitor visits your site, it serves static HTML files generated in front of visitors instead of heavier WordPress PHP scripts. Does. Which causes a super fast load in the browser of your site visitors.
- Updraftplus – Performs full backups of your website. Here is a guide – How to Backup WordPress Website with Updraftplus Plugin
- Wordfence Security – This is a Security Plugin that secures your site with hacker.
You May Also Like Latest Post 34 Best Free WordPress Themes List 2020